Headers and Footers – Changing page numbering on page 2 to start at 1 (Word 2013)
Open or create a document that contains, at least, 2 pages of text.
- Select the Insert tab and select the drop-down arrow next to Page Numbering.
- Hover the mouse cursor over “Bottom of Page” to display the layout options for the page numbering. Click on “Plain Number 2” to select. This will position the page numbering in the footer centred between the left and right margins.
- You will see that the Header and Footer areas of your document are now unshaded whilst the text in the body of the pages are shaded out. Also, the Design tab under Header and Footer Tools is now displayed on the Ribbon.
- Click on drop-down arrow on the “Page Number” icon and select “Format Page Numbers” to open the Page Number Format dialogue box.
- In the Page Numbering section click on the button next to “Start at:” to select and then either over type the figure in the box or toggle up and down using the arrow keys until the number changes to zero. Click OK.
- With the Design tab under Header and Footer Tools still displayed, tick the box next to “Different First Page” in the Options Group on the Ribbon. Page 2 of your document will now have the page numbering starting at 1.
Note: You can also reveal the Header and Footer areas by moving your mouse cursor to the bottom or the page (the shaded area shown on the vertical ruler on the left hand side) and double-click on the left button of your mouse. To close the Header and Footers either click the “Close Header and Footer” button at the end of the Ribbon or move your cursor to anywhere on the body of your page (the shaded area shown on the vertical ruler on the left hand side) and double-click.